Working in sprints, we ran stakeholder workshops to align, prioritise, and gather internal insights. We created a research committee of people who travelled regularly for work around the country, to understand regional variations in challenges; We were conscious the main team was London based and we needed to make sure we designed for commuters across the UK, not just the London bubble.
We approached the process of purchasing a ticket from the ground up, re-designing flows with most to least ideal paths, leveraging geolocation and push notifications to minimise user tasks.
The hardest part was figuring out how to reassure the user what the algorithm was doing, without trying to explain how it worked, because it was way too complicated. We went through many iterations of how this might look, testing with different users and leveraging our research committee for quick stress tests. We redesigned the onboarding flow to build user permissions as usage continues through the app, in order to reduce onboarding at the start and get people using the app.